News and links about birds, birding, and the environment.
- Good news for red knots: New Jersey's Marine Fisheries Council voted to approve a two-year moratorium on collecting horseshoe crabs, which will allow time for the crab population to rebound and perhaps for the red knot population to stabilize.
- In New York City, WBAI-FM's Eco-Logic show will be doing a spot on birds and birding on Tuesday, April 4, at 11 am. The station's call number is 99.5 FM and a podcast will be available from their archive page. Brooklyn bird blogger City Birder is slated as a guest.
- Here is a website on Gull Identification. It takes a useful approach to a difficult group of birds.
- A Stanford report finds that a majority of Americans think that the natural world will be in worse shape ten years from now. 86% want significant action from the government to correct the problems. 69% believe in global warming. This could be a potent issue for candidates inclined to use it.
- The winners of the 2005 Koufax Awards have been announced. The Koufax Awards, named for Sandy Koufax, honor the writers of "lefty" blogs.