News and links about birds, birding, and the environment.
- Lilian Stokes has some further thoughts about the identification of the Western Reef-Heron that has been wandering through New England. It seems that the species identification may be both right and wrong.
- A review of 125,000 studies done over 30 years and involving 571 species of plants and animals concludes that spring in Europe is 6-8 days earlier than before and autumn is about 3 days later.
- Elliott Kennerson, a film student in Montana, has produced a short film about a group of snowy owls wintering in Montana. It has some great shots of snowy owls in flight. Watch it here.
- The wetland restoration project along the Anacostia River was one of several regional projects to receive federal grants this week.
- Birds, Etcetera has a collection of links on taking good field notes.
- I would be happy to have a great blue heron visiting my yard, but not everyone feels that way.
- In California, the Bolsa Chica wetlands have been reconnected with the Pacific Ocean after a two-year project to break down the dams that had separated the two for over 100 years.
- Ducks in Bucks County, PA, have been getting shot with blowdarts, as in the photograph below.