News and links about birds, birding, and the environment.
- The results of the 2006 Potomac Gorge Bioblitz have been published in the Nature Conservancy Magazine. (link via Snail's Tales)
- Research indicates that hummingbirds can hover in place thanks to an enlarged brain nucleus that detects movement.
- The Idaho Fish and Game department is examining sage grouse wings to understand the causes of their decline.
- Researchers in Delaware hope to find a replacement for horseshoe crabs as bait. Their use as bait in conch and eel fishing helped cause their recent sharp decline.
- National Geographic prematurely identified a site in South Carolina as a location of recent ivory-billed woodpecker sightings. Park officials there did not want an announcement until they had proof.
- This article reports on the harm federal budget cuts are doing to wildlife refuges on the Outer Banks. Similar cuts have affected refuges in Maryland.