Friday, August 29, 2008

More Cape May Birding

This morning I visited Cape May Point State Park again. The species present have been fairly consistent over the past few days. My new bird for today was a northern waterthrush, on one of the trails in the back area. There were also quite a lot of ruby-throated hummingbirds buzzing around. Bunker Pond has a mix of the more common sandpiper and plover species. Lighthouse Pond had a little blue heron and blue-winged teal.

Yesterday morning I was at the Nature Conservancy's Migratory Bird Refuge (a.k.a. "The Meadows"). It had a similar mix of species as the state park ponds – mostly the common shorebirds. There were also a few gadwall near the observation tower.

Two evenings ago, I saw a black tern and some royal terns on the state park beach.

Update: A sea watch this evening produced a cluster of terns - black, Forster's, common, least, and royal. There may have been a few others in the mix, but if so I did not identify them in time.