Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Raritan River Flickr Group

Yesterday when I searched for a Raritan River group on Flickr, I found that there was no such group, even though there were a few vaguely related groups. So, I created one. This is a public group, so any Flickr users are welcome to join and post photos. Subjects may include the river itself, associated structures and parks, or life along the river. Photos from the North Branch or South Branch are also welcome.

My interest in finding such a group was sparked by a walk I took on Sunday afternoon along the Highland Park side of the river. I took a lot of pictures, some of which I added to the group. I also saw a lot of birds. Most of them were the expected local breeders – Gray Catbirds, American Robins, Northern Cardinals, and the like. Then there were swarms of swallows all along the river. Most were Northern Rough-winged Swallows, as far as I could tell, with a few Tree Swallows mixed in. Best of all, there was at least one pair of Cliff Swallows, a rare breeder in New Jersey and even rarer this far east of the Delaware. My county can still turn up a good bird from time to time.