Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday Sparrow Blogging

In honor of the Great Backyard Bird Count that begins today, I am devoting this week's Friday picture post to feeder birds. Since I live on the third floor of an apartment, I do not have a true backyard. But I do have a roof right outside my window where birds sometimes congregate, especially when I throw out some sunflower seeds.

Following the weekend snowstorm, I threw out some seeds on the roof to see what would come. As usual, I got a lot of house sparrows.


Here is one taking off.

A little while later, they were joined - and then pushed out - by a small group of European starlings.

Some more birds and other creatures at the Friday Ark.

And don't forget to send me posts for next week's Carnival of the Vanities. You can submit them here or here, or email them to me directly at the address in the left sidebar.

Also, remember that this weekend is the Great Backyard Bird Count.