Today is my birthday. I cannot believe that another year has passed.
I picked up this birthday meme from Nuthatch, whose birthday was yesterday. The instructions are to go to Wikipedia and look up the birth month and day (without the year), and select three events, three births, and three deaths from the list of events.
- 218 BC - Second Punic War: Battle of the Trebia - Hannibal's Carthaginian forces defeat those of the Roman Republic.
- 1787 - New Jersey becomes the third state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- Slavery is abolished in the United States. The 13th Amendment is formally adopted into the U.S. Constitution, ensuring that "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude... shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (not listed on the Wikipedia list)
- 1610 - Charles du Fresne, sieur du Cange, French philologist (d. 1688)
- 1886 - Ty Cobb, American baseball player (d. 1961)
- 1888 - Robert Moses, American public works official (d. 1981)
- 1737 - Antonio Stradivari, Italian violin maker (b. 1644)
- 1869 - Louis Moreau Gottschalk, American composer and pianist (b. 1829)
- 1980 - Alexei Kosygin, Premier of the USSR (b. 1904)