Sunday, September 10, 2006

Arboretum Again

I visited the National Arboretum again this morning in the hopes of finding more birds than I did yesterday. Well, I saw some different ones, but overall I saw even fewer than yesterday. The only warbler I spotted was a chestnut-sided warbler, apparently my first at the Arboretum this year. Some other patches of activity turned out to be all common species - Carolina wrens, chickadees, titmice, and the like. Before I left I saw an immature Cooper's Hawk soaring high above the tree line. The full species list follows.

BIRD SPECIES SEEN: 27

Canada Goose
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Carolina Wren
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jay
American Crow
European Starling
American Goldfinch
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak

BUTTERFLY SPECIES SEEN: 9

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Gray Hairstreak
Common Buckeye
Monarch
Least Skipper
Sachem