Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Dark and Birdy Afternoon

It was a dark and stormy day....

This afternoon I visited the National Arboretum to see if any migrants lingered after the strong migration nights of last week. As usual I started in the Azalea Garden and worked my way around the hill. I was greeted with the customary large flock of American Robins. Among them was a Wood Thrush and at least three Swainson's Thrushes. (I saw more of each species along the trail on the other side of the hill.) Farther up the hill, I came across a patch of activity that included a Red-eyed Vireo and a Magnolia Warbler. Unfortunately the robins quickly moved in to squelch activity, so I saw no more warblers or vireos in that patch of the Arboretum.

A turn around the fields near and behind the Capitol Columns turned up little else. Even the American Goldfinches seemed to be in hiding, as I only saw one of that species. I need to get back there on a better day.

I did manage to get home before the rains hit. It looks like tomorrow morning may be better for birding than today.

SPECIES SEEN: 24

Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Carolina Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jay
American Crow
European Starling
House Sparrow
Red-eyed Vireo
American Goldfinch
Magnolia Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle