On Saturday, birders fanned out along the length of the 184.5-mile C&O Canal to count birds. The C&O Canal mid-winter bird count is sponsored annually by the DC Audubon Society. This is the eighth year that this count has occurred. In that time, coverage of the canal has increased from 138 miles in 1999 to a record 181.5 miles in 2005. It will be interesting to see how many miles were covered this year as one previous coordinator has died and another left the executive board, leaving the count's leadership somewhat in flux. The extent of the coverage for 2006 will not be known until all reports have been submitted and tallied. The full results will be posted on DC Audubon's canal count webpage later in the spring.
- For other reports from the C&O Canal Count posted on MDOsprey, see here, here, here, here, and here.
- Reports from the Baltimore Bird Club's mid-winter count here and here.
- Prince Georges County mid-winter count results.
- A listing of mid-winter bird counts in Maryland.
- Historical data from the Harford County mid-winter bird counts.
- Results of the East Brunswick, NJ, mid-winter bird count.
- An article on the Philadelphia mid-winter bird census from 2005.
- My earlier post on the C&O Canal Count.
SPECIES OBSERVED: 26
American Black Duck